I consider myself to be an intermediate couponer as I have been couponing for over 5 years. But sometimes even experienced couponers have snafus. Here is one example where today's purchase did not go well. This is an example on what NOT to do
Food Lion: There is a local blogger in my area that swears Food Lion has the best deals. I have not had much success with Food Lion (Safeway and Harris Teeters are my go to grocery stores in the area). After viewing her local blog for months I decided to give Food Lion the ole college try and experiment for 6 weeks as some promotions have peaked my interest
Promotion #1: Currently Food Lion is having a Gas Card Deal
Promotion #2: In addition Food Lion is offering extra savings with their Big Deal Specials: Food Lion Big Deal Extra Savings Deal
My husband did the shopping during Weeks 1 & 2 of the Gas Card Deal. This week I decided to buckle down for Week 3 with careful coupon consideration. I made my list and off to the store I went.
Cliff Note version of the shopping trip: It was a disaster.
Unabridged Version: The cashier was new so she called over a manager. The manager said they would not accept my coupons as I was not purchasing items pictured in the coupon. Any couponer knows that the manufacturer purposely place pictures of higher priced items on the coupon to encourage shoppers to purchase that higher price item. One should always go by wording on a coupon. I calmly tried to explain that the wording did indeed match my purchase but the manager not having any part of it. The manager started pulling out coupons (both internet and ones from the newspaper) and telling me I could not use them because I was not purchasing items in the picture on the coupon. I am caught between a rock and hard place because Food Lion has the right to decline any coupon; however, all I wanted was the week 3 gas coupon and really had no energy to walk away to try again on another day. I rarely cave as I usually walk away when a purchase is not going well; however for some reason I stayed. As I continued to stand there more chaos ensued. Finally the transaction is over and walk out of the store and drive home ... tired, angry, and upset. Because I did not check my receipt at the store I realized when I got home that Food Lion never gave me credit for $7.50 in coupons, coupons that the cashier placed in her coupon bag & for items I had purchased. In the end I paid $18.28 for everything shown. It is disgraceful
because the shampoo was free so I paid full price for the creamer and
ice cream. Full Price is a bad word.
I detoured from my normal coupon habits and the outcome went against me financially. This is why it is so important for us to double and triple everything. This post is a lesson on what not to do. Walk away if the transaction is not going as planned. Keep and eagle eye out at check out that the prices being scanned are accurate and make sure scanned coupons are taken off. Double and Triple check before leaving the store that everything is okay. Please do not do what I just did

No comments:
Post a Comment